Yesterday I picked up Jonathan’s present before work and dropped it off at his parents on my way home. You see, he always figures out what people are going to get him, but I think this year I may have him fooled. I planned him a surprise 30th a couple of years ago and he even figured that out! But he just stumbled upon that one so I could not be too mad. To prevent him from snooping, I wrapped the present and kept it at his parents, his mom is even hiding it for me incase he gets any bright ideas! I can’t wait to see him open it!
I saw this cute survey over at Julia’s blog this morning and thought it was super fun and a great way to start my bloggin’ for the week before Christmas!
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
I really do not like either. In fact Egg Nog just grosses me out; and it has never touched my lips, nor will it! I would take a holiday Diet Pepsi over either option.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or sit them under the tree?
Always wrapped, or at least stuck in a bag! I love wrapping presents!
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
This question cracks me up, because on the way home from downtown on Sunday we took the scenic route: Lake Shore Drive to Sheridan Road all the way home to look at the Christmas lights. Jonathan favors colored lights, and I like the classic look of all white… I wonder who will win the debate when we eventually have a house… My concern is that I will come home one day and our house will look like this:
(Not even kidding, I think it is a strong possibility.)
4. When do you hang up decorations?
The past couple of years we hung up Christmas decorations right after Thanksgiving… and have been known to keep them up until Valentine’s Day. What can I say? We love us some Christmas! But this year I just did not have time with wedding planning so we only have a small wreath hanging up. Next year I plan on going all out to make up for this year though!
6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
I never knew what rice pilaf was until I went to my first Thanksgiving with Jonathan’s family. His mom made rice pilaf and it was love at first bite. He has tried to make it for me in the past, but his just does not taste as good as his mom’s… I know he hates that I say that. Sorry Jon. 😉
(Hers looks more tasty then this, I just don’t have a picture!)
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a Child?
On Christmas Eve one year my cousins and I thought of this great plan to find out if Santa was real or not. We decided to write him a letter with a bunch of questions and concluded if the questions had different answers, Santa of course was not real; but if the answers were the same then he was! That morning I remember calling my one cousin and we went over Santa’s answers together and they were the same!
8. What is on your Christmas list?
That’s all here.
9. Do you open your presents on Christmas Eve? No, growing up we always waited for Santa to come in the morning, but Santa used to come on Christmas eve to Jonathan’s house. We tend to switch from year to year if we will open presents in the morning vs. the night before.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? We are trying to get a sentimental ornament every year to replace our dollar store ones. I have been on the hunt for a cute engagement ornament for our tree but none have really stuck out to me yet. I think our tree has come together nicely in the past. We usually do some fun ornaments and then bring it all together with candy canes all over the tree. I think next year I will start to get more creative.
Here are a couple of pictures of our decorations from last year:
A stocking for me, Jonathan, Buddy, and our cats Jayma and Jacob
11. Fake or Real tree?
Fake… always has been, always will be. I am allergic to the real thing.
12. Snow..love it or dread it?
I despise it. All the people on Facebook constantly hoping and wishing for snow? I welcome you to come shovel me out when the serious white stuff comes again. Remember last year?
No thanks. A light dusting on Christmas would be nice, but that’s it. And for those not from Chicago, this is what Lake Shore Drive usually looks like:
Once again, I emphasize, no thank you!
13. Favorite gift? My favorite gift of all time is of course my engagement ring!
I took this picture a few days after our engagement. I think I was trying to be artistic. 🙂
My favorite Christmas present is a ring Jonathan gave me on our first Christmas together. We had only been together a few months, and I only take it off (like my engagement ring) when I shower and work out.
14. Most important thing about Christmas?
Christmas to me is about family. I love my family so much, and I am so thankful I can say that I love Jon’s parents and sister too. Most people consider themselves lucky if they have great parents or in-laws, but in very rare circumstances can people say they love and love spending time with both. I am very thankful I can say that! (And no, they do not even know this blog exists, so I am not kissing anybody’s booty!)
15. Which do you prefer..giving or receiving?
I know it’s cliché, but I truly like giving presents better than getting them. I love seeing the receiver’s face when they first open it, and you can tell in that split second if you hit the nail on the head or not. I always feel awkward opening presents, especially in front of a lot of people!
I can’t believe Christmas is this weekend! It seems like time has truly flown since Thanksgiving. Do you have any Christmas shopping left to do? What are you looking most forward to for the holidays this year?